Last evening I had the pleasure of being the Quiz master for the Killiney Lions Club Quiz Night in the Rochestown Lodge Hotel - the Lions were raising money for the local National Rehabilitation Hospital. We had 13 tables at the quiz - a little down on last year, but nevertheless a good evening was had by all with over €1,000 raised.
|The Quiz Master.|
Image link to
The best part for me was that I actually prepared the questions for the quiz - 10 rounds of 10 questions each, 100 in total. It was much harder than I thought, I had to balance hard with easier questions to give everybody a chance. The winning team scored 86 points (out of 100), with second on 82 points. The winners are a team that go to a lot of quizzes, and they told me that the found the quiz very balanced and also a challenging one (they usually score higher). Some teams found the going tough, and I saw one older participant throwing his hands in the air when I asked about the name of the Michael Jackson series of concerts in London that were to be held when he died (Answer: "This is it!").
Writing questions is fun, but also a delicate exercise. The tables ranged from my daughter Vicki's table of 16/17 year old's to tables with retired participants - so I mixed in questions from the Simpsons with Shakespeare. I also discarded questions that upon reflection I felt were too hard and unlikely to be answered except by a small minority. So I changed "In the Beatles song Mean Mr Mustard, what did Mr Mustard keep up his nose?" (Answer: A Ten Bob Note) to "In what film featuring music by The Beatles would you find characters called The Blue Meanies?" (Answer: Yellow Submarine).
Here's the first round of questions - see how you get on (two tables got 10/10 in this round):
- Who scored the first point for Dublin in this year's All-Ireland Senior Football Final against Kerry?
- Mary Byrne, of X-Factor fame, worked for which supermarket chain at the time of her success on the show?
- Who was the U.S. President’s wife who opened an addiction Clinic in California?
- What do the letters in the acronym WYSIWYG mean?
- What is the name of the pet greyhound in The Simpsons TV cartoon show?
- In what county in Ireland would you find a town called Carnew?
- What company's logo features on the front of Premiership side Chelsea's shirt?
- How many counties are there in Leinster?
- Siam is the former name for which country?
- Who is the current President of Killiney Lion's Club?