The good folks over at the Harvard Extension Hub have given some great tips for students interested in a career in Data Analytics in an article entitled: "Why Data Science Jobs Are in High Demand". They provide a good model for what skills a data analyst should have:
|Image source: Jonathan Davidowitz.|
- Wrangle the data (gather, clean, and sample data to get a suitable data set)
- Manage the data in a way that gives you access to big data quickly and reliably
- Explore the data so you can generate a hypothesis
- Make predictions using statistical methods such as regression and classification
- Communicate the results using visualization, presentations, and interpretable summaries.
At the National College of Ireland we cover all these skills (and more) in our Higher Diploma in Data Analytics course. We use the Python and R programming languages, plus tools like SPSS and Excel to analyse data. If you, or a colleague, are interested in studying Data Analytics part-time, check out our course at the SpringBoard website now. In addition we will be holding Open Evenings on Tuesday 7th and Thursday 22nd January from 5-7pm - why not come along, meet the NCI team, and find out more about the course?