I must confess to switching over to the Party Leader's debate on TV3 during half-time in the Ireland vs Wales match on Sky. The first half in the match was poor. Sky don't have John Giles and Eamon Dunphy (the absolute best in football punditry) on at half-time - so switching was easy!
|Mock-up from the fantastic |
Big Mental Disease Blog.
Leader's debates do not influence my vote - I don't actually care who "wins" according to the tabloids. My mind is made up despite the best efforts of parties and TV stations to influence me. All I want is a "safe-pair-of-hands" to lead the country. Alan Kelly, Packie Bonner, and Shay Given inspire more confidence than a debate on TV3.
|Big Jack for Taoiseach.|
(Photo from BBC News)
This got me thinking - a bit like Christy Moore's "Joxer Goes to Stuttgart" song. Now here's an Irish dream team for Government:
- Taoiseach - Jack Charlton
- Minister for Finance - John Delaney (of FAI)
- Minister for Foreign Affairs - Eamon Dunphy
- Minister for Tactics - John Giles
- Minister for Labour (and hard work) - Roy Keane
- Minister for Goals - Robbie Keane (Junior Minister - Frank Stapleton),
- Minister for Equality - Andy Gray (sacked after 5 mins and replaced by Mother Theresa)
- Minister for Education - John Giles (again)
- Minister for Health - Mick Byrne
- Minister for Sound Bytes - Eamon Dunphy
- Minister for Enthusiasm - Des Cahill