It's January 1st, 2009 and I'm taking it easy after a few busy days. On December 30th Roma and I went to my good friend Richard Hogan's 50th birthday party at his house in Terenure. Other than Richard and his lovely wife Carol, we did not know anybody, but settled in well for a very pleasant evening. We had a quick pint in the Terenure Inn beforehand as we were early - it was very quiet with just one barman looking after everything in the Lounge.
On New Year's Eve Joe and I played golf in Coolattin where I enjoyed a rare win (by 3 and 1) over Joe. I scored 29 Stableford points with 96 shots - a huge improvement on last week's game in St Annes (13 points). I was hitting the ball very well and even scored a birdie (on the par 4 first hole). Though it was very cold I really enjoyed the game. After a quick pint in the 19th we went over to see Mum and Dad in Ballingate - both are in good form though Mum was a bit tired after her recent trip to Ulverston to see Brian and his son Joe.
For New Year's Eve we were invited over to Roma's brother Peter's place and we marked the last day of 2008 and the first of 2009 with plenty to eat and drink (Peter is very generous with the Port!).
Resolutions for 2009? None really, though the first thing I have to do is lose some of the weight I put on over the Christmas. Some of the things I'm looking forward to this year are:
- Kate will be 18 (1st May), Claire will be 21 and Mum will be 75 (both on 27th August)
- Hosting the EdTech 2009 Conference at NCI where I will be the local Chair
- Getting my first book published
- Riding to Spain on my Harley for Summer holidays
- Learning to sail some more (I got a lesson from Roma for Christmas)
- Seeing Kate going to Trinity to do Science (as I did in 1978!)
- Finally - I will be 50 this year!